Home & Safety Preparedness

Why Do I Need Renters Insurance?

< Back to contents   |   Print article

Why do you need renters insurance? Your renters insurance provides coverage for your possessions in case of a fire, theft, or other peril. It's a common misconception that a landlord's insurance covers the renter's possessions. Your landlord's insurance does not. It covers damage or loss only to the structure of the building in which you live.

Renters insurance consists of the following common coverages:

Personal property (Coverage C) covers your possessions such as furniture, clothing, and consumer electronics. It does not cover real estate property.

Loss of use (Coverage D) takes into account expenses you'll have if your home is uninhabitable because of a covered loss. It pays for temporary lodging and living expenses.

Personal liability (Coverage E) and medical payments to others (Coverage F) protects you no matter where you are. Both coverages pay medical expenses, bodily injury and/or property damages that may be awarded against you if you are held legally responsible. Any necessary court costs are also covered.

At Electric Insurance, our experienced representatives can help you decide what and how much you need for renters insurance. Just call 800.342.5342.

Related articles:


Save up to 20%

Yes, I am a GE Employee
Retrieve a Saved Quote

MyAccount: Login/Register


Related Topics



Speak to an Associate

Have a question?
We want to hear it.





Want to share Electric Insurance with a friend or family member? Send us their email address and a quick message and we'll take care of the rest.


  • The American Business Awards Winner
  •  Electric Insurance Company BBB Business Review
  • AM Best
  • Communitas Award 2010 Excellence Winner