Auto Learning Center
10 Tips to Avoid Auto Accidents
< Back to contents |
We all consider ourselves excellent drivers. But if we are all great drivers, why are there still so many car accidents? By following these safety guidelines, and everything else you've been taught about safe driving, you can help reduce the likelihood of becoming involved in an accident. There is no way to completely eliminate the risk of a crash, but you can do your part to make the road a safer place for everyone.
- Eliminate distractions, such as talking on the phone, reading newspapers, changing radio stations or CDs, or eating while driving.
- Avoid driving while drowsy. Always get a good night's sleep before driving major distances. Try to drive during the day when you're most alert and, if possible, share the driving with a companion.
- Keep your vehicle properly maintained. Adhere to the maintenance schedule recommended for your car, and remember to have the tires checked, oil changed, and fluids leveled frequently.
- Drive defensively, but not aggressively. If another driver is being aggressive, ignore them, rather than reciprocate. Allow them to speed away from you, and try to relax or call the police to report aggressive driving.
- Take a defensive driving class to better prepare yourself for situations on the road.
- Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and others. For every ten miles per hour you are driving, leave at least one car length of space between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
- Keep your mirrors adjusted properly. When entering a car or changing drivers, always check the mirrors and seats to make sure they are adjusted to your personal advantage. These are extremely dangerous to adjust while driving.
- Exercise great caution while driving through intersections. Most accidents occur at intersections, usually because a driver was not paying close attention to the light. Always count to three before proceeding when the light turns green.
- Be aware of the road conditions, and keep your lights on at dusk, dawn, or in hazardous weather conditions.
- Steer clear of alcohol and medications that can impair your driving performance.
And finally, talk to an Electric Insurance representative at 800.342.5342 to ensure you have the right auto insurance coverage.