Knowing what's next helps. Really.
We pride ourselves on taking really good care of our customers who have just had some kind of problem that requires filing a claim. But we recognize that part of feeling in control is knowing what to expect — and in what order. So here is an explanation of the steps to filing a claim and getting your home back together and feeling welcoming again.
The quick overview:
- Report your claim by calling 800.342.5342 any day, any time
- Talk with the adjuster by phone to describe the incident
- Have the loss appraised
- Receive your settlement check (in most cases, less the deductible)
- Get the damage fixed
- Have your home re-inspected afterwards, if requested
If you have a mortgage, the settlement check must be jointly issued to you and your mortgage holder.
The detailed version:
1. Reporting your claim
How to report a claim?
- Call us at 800.342.5342, any day or time
- An experienced phone representative will open a claim
- The claims process for your specific situation will be explained
What information will I need?
- A copy of your policy
- A copy of your Declarations page
- A list of damaged items/personal belongings
- Age and cost/copies of invoices of damaged personal items (if available)
- A copy of any estimate for repairs to the damaged area (if available)
- Information about Contractor who will conduct repairs (if applicable)
2. Processing your claim
For small or simple claims:
- Your adjuster may authorize you to submit an estimate from a contractor of your choice
- An internal auditor will review to ensure fairness and accuracy of pricing in conjunction with stated damages.
For larger or complex claims:
- In many instances, we may be able to prepare an estimate based on your description and photos
- If damage is too large or complex, an Independent Adjuster may be assigned who specializes in your type of claim